I get a lot of questions about the best feeding chair for mothers – High chair or Booster seat for baby – which one to buy? Picking the best baby dining chair if I may call it that is such a difficult task as baby gears are so expensive and you don’t actually know which is the best unless the baby and the mother try it out. To make the decision easier, let’s tackle the differences between a Feeding chair vs Booster Chair in this blog post.
High Chair / Feeding Chair for baby
Baby high chairs are tall chairs with a back rest and 3 or 5 point harness to secure your baby in an upright position when feeding her. The legs on the feeding chair have a broader base to make the seat more stable. It won’t topple down even if your baby is throwing tantrums and struggling to wriggle out of the chair. It can be used as an extra baby chair at the dining table and does not need to be fixed to your dining chair as opposed to a booster chair. The dining table will act as the surface where you can put food for the baby and allow her to dine with adults. If you do not want to go for the pricey branded high chair for your baby, you can also look at a wooden high chair. There are many wooden high chair for babies available in India.
Some trusted brands available in India to buy a high chair are Mothercare, Chicco, Fisher Price, R for Rabbit and Luv Lap.
- More sturdy and stable
- Works as an extra chair. Does not use an existing chair.
- The chair legs are wide apart occupying a lot of floor space.
- Uncomfortable if not using with a dining table and you want to sit opposite the child to feed her.
- Only works at table height. Cannot sit on the floor with baby.
- Not portable. Weighs more than a booster chair making it more difficult to transport and assemble if you change homes often.
Buy a High Chair in India:
A booster chair as the name suggests is not a fully functional chair but can be used to boost an already existing adult chair into a baby chair. A booster chair is a multi purpose chair and not just for feeding. Most booster chairs come with different trays that can be attached to the main body of the booster chair to give baby a table / flat surface in front of her to either play with her toys (some booster chairs come with toys attached to the tray) or a plate where food can be kept for the baby to self feed or explore. This tray also acts like a catch for food that baby throws away. These trays are removable.
A booster chair has a three-point harness to secure the baby in it. It also has a separate harness system at the back to secure it to a chair. Most booster chairs come with 3 different levels on height adjustment that you can choose as per baby’s height to for her to sit at the table to eat with adults.
A booster chair is portable and can fold up for you to carry it to restaurants or outings. Most booster chairs come with a lid on top of the food tray so you don’t have to clean the messy food tray when you’re out. You can just wipe it clean with baby wipe and put a lid on it to carry it back with you. The food tray on most booster chairs are dishwasher safe so can be cleaned easily.
- Portable. Easy to transport and assemble if you travel or change homes often.
- Different surfaces to eat and play which can act like a small table in front of the child.
- Can sit on the floor with the baby or attach the booster chair to a dining chair.
- Works better than the feeding chair if you want the baby to self feed and try finger foods because that’s a messy activity and you don’t want to do it higher up on a dining table.
- Occupies less space, foldable.
- Not very stable.
- Occupies a dining chair reducing the adult capacity to 5.